Essential Resources for General Counsel
Asking for and receiving experienced legal advice early on will prevent bigger issues (and save money) later. Whether you’re in start-up mode, you’re just not receiving creative and solution-oriented counsel, or you’ve exceeded current capacities, we would be glad to serve as general outside counsel. To help determine if there is a good fit and to inform our initial discussion, we suggest you think through these initial questions.
We’ll be asking these questions if we chat.
- What is the nature of your business?
- Does your business have a social or environmental purpose?
- What legal issues concern you?
- Are you looking for legally-trained strategic counsel as well?
- Are you interested in, or are actively pursuing B Corp certification?
- What sector is your business in?
- What type of entity is your business?
- How many owners are there in your business?
- How is the business financed?
- How long has the business been operating?
- Is the business profitable?
- Does your query arise in connection with, or in anticipation of, litigation?
- How are you dealing with these issues right now?
- What about our practice appeals to you?
- Time requirement
- What do you anticipate as the monthly time requirements?
- Is this a one-off issue, or do you foresee a monthly engagement?
How the Jason Wiener|p.c. Team can help
We have deep experience in and passion for shared ownership, alternative finance, and regenerative/transformative business models with a strong component of social enterprise or alternative business ownership. For a full list of our services, click here.
- The Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights has a special program for low-income entrepreneurs working in economically distressed communities.
- We are practitioners of “Teal Lawyering.” See if this style aligns with your style and needs.
- The Entrepreneur’s Guide to Law and Strategy (5th ed.) by Constance Bagley and Craig Dauchy.
Most of our clients have similar questions. We’ve created these helpful guides for the top 5 most common topics.